Anchor Comes Home To Darwin
The anchor from HMAS Darwin is going to find a permanent home in Darwin, and will be displayed on the grounds of the Administrator’s Offices on the corner of the Esplanade and Smith Street.
The anchor was unveiled today by Her Honour the Honourable Vicki O’Halloran AM, Administrator of the Northern Territory and Mrs Joan Johnston OAM, wife of former Administrator Commodore Eric Johnston AO OBE. Commodore and Mrs Johnston travelled to the USA in 1982 where Mrs Johnston launched HMAS Darwin as the Commissioning Lady.
HMAS Darwin was named for the City of Darwin and was an Adelaide class guided-missile frigate. She was launched in Seattle, Washington in 1982 and served in the Royal Australian Navy from 1984 until 2017.
HMAS Darwin was deployed to the Persian Gulf five times between 1990 and 2004, and was deployed to East Timor as part of the Australian-led INTERFET peacekeeping taskforce from 19 September to 3 November 1999.
Following the decommissioning of the ship in December 2017, the Northern Territory Department of Tourism, Sport and Culture accepted an offer from the Commonwealth Government to receive the anchor.
The anchor weighs 3.2 tonnes, more than twice as much as an average family car. It is 2.2 metres across and 2.3 metres high.
It was decided that the Administrator’s Offices was an appropriate location for the anchor, because it is a prominent location in the Darwin CBD within sight of the Harbour, and because the Administrator’s Offices was the Naval Headquarters from 1942 until 1975.
The launch of the display complements Territory Tribute, a program of events to commemorate and acknowledge the Territory’s military history, as well as our continuing strategic role in Australia’s defence.