Recreational Fishing Grants
Applications will open tomorrow for the $1 million NT Recreational Fishing Grants Scheme, which is designed to create new recreational fishing opportunities across the Territory.
Grants of up to $100,000 are available for Territory-based, not-for-profit organisations to implement projects that will help grow and support recreational fishing in the NT.
The scheme is part of the Government’s $50 million investment in recreational fishing, which is supporting the growth of the sector to create jobs.
Potential projects that could be eligible for funding include:
- Infrastructure such as fishing camps, shelters and amenities that will encourage greater access to new recreational fishing opportunities
- Fishing platforms, shelters, seats and structures at land-based fishing locations and boat ramps
- Fish cleaning and wash-down facilities
- Best-practice recreational fishing education programs
- Fish habitat restoration
- Capacity building programs such as fish tagging and research
- Fishing family days, clinics, and events
In 2018 the Amateur Fishermen’s Association of the Northern Territory successfully applied for three grants, which helped open up access to a new fishing spot near Katherine.
Other successful applicants last year included Darwin Game Fishing Club, Nhulunbuy Regional Sports Fishing Club, Palmerston Game Fishing Club and Rapid Creek Landcare Group Inc.
Applications for the 2019 scheme open tomorrow, 15 May, and close on 31 July. For more information visit www.dpir.nt.gov.au or email [email protected]