Boy to be detained over fatal SA car crash
As mother-of-two Nicole Tucker took her last breaths, Kathryn Howard was with her.
The innocent victim of a crash, Ms Tucker was killed when a high-powered ute stolen by two teenage boys hit her car at an intersection on Adelaide's Southern Expressway last year.
Her car burst into flames and she died in the fiery wreckage.
Ms Howard's car was also caught up in the crash, and she told the Youth Court on Friday that flashbacks from that awful night now "play in my head on repeat".
"I am grieving for a woman who I saw take her final breaths," she said, in an emotional victim impact statement.
The crash "took a woman who was loved dearly by so many," she said.
"I lost a little faith in humanity that night."
Before the court was the 17-year-old passenger in the stolen car who had pleaded guilty to theft and driving offences in relation to the crash.
His 15-year-old co-accused, who was driving, will be sentenced later as an adult for causing death by dangerous driving.
Youth Court Judge Penelope Eldridge said while the older boy, who had 47 prior offences, was not charged with causing Ms Tucker's death he was a willing passenger in the vehicle.
She described his offending as brazen, callous, senseless, reckless and disgraceful.
After the two boys stole the ute they were tracked on Adelaide's Southern Expressway at speeds of more than 210km/h
The ute hit Ms Tucker's car at high speed, pushing it across an intersection into two other cars.
Her husband Brett told the court that his wife was taken "way too soon".
"Above all else you have taken my soulmate for no apparent reason," he told the teenager in his victim impact statement.
As well as admitting to offences related to the crash, the 17-year-old also admitted to other offences involving a car stolen just a few weeks earlier, for which he was on bail at the time.
He also admitted to being involved in an affray at a youth detention centre in Adelaide in which a group of boys caused $20,000 damage.
Judge Eldridge imposed a range of periods of detention on the boy, the longest being seven and a half months over the events in October.
But she backdated that sentence to when he was first taken into custody, effectively leaving him to serve the six months imposed from Friday for the affray.
© AAP 2017
You may also like...
- A teenage girl and a man have been charged after leading police on a dangerous chase through several Brisbane suburbs in a stolen car.The 16-year-old...Two men are in a critical condition after a car crash at Mount Nebo, north of Brisbane.The driver and passenger were trapped in the car for some time...Police are investigating whether an illegal street race caused a car to leave the road and roll in Melbourne, injuring the teen driver.It's believed...